How Does Lennie and Georges Relationship Define Who The Leader Is?

In part two, there was one thing that really caught my eye. Lennie and George's relationship. George seems to be the obvious leader between the two companions. Flashback to the first chapter. When they were traveling together the order in which they were doing so was noticeable. Small before tall. George walked in front of Lennie, representing that he is the one in power. Now, back in"present day", they boys arrived at the ranch. There, they meet many new people such as, the boss, Curley, Curley's wife, and more. While being introduced to all these new people, Lennie didn't say one word. George spoke for the both of them. That's when Curley noticed the pattern. When Curley began talking to George and Lennie, he demanded "'Let the big guy talk'". George handled it with peace and responded by letting Curley know that Lennie didn't have too. After a little sass going back and forth, Curley ended the conversation with "'Well, nex' time you answer when you're spoken to.'" Lennie understood the situation based off of Georges advice. He was repeatedly told not to say anything to anyone. Showing again that George is the clear leader. But, that got me thinking. George would have to be a leader for a reason. Steinbeck has already given us a few clues to why George is the one to follow. George is smart, wise, quick, and he knows how to read a room. He understands what to do in a hard situation, when Lennie doesn't have a clue.

Who do you think is the predominate leader between the friends?

Comments

  1. Riley, you had some awesome ideas ! I agree with you completely. George seems like a leader and Lennie seems like a follower. But have you ever thought that maybe this was for a reason ? This got me thinking. If we are under the impression that Lennie has a disabilty then maybe it would make sense that George is the leader. Maybe George is even the caretaker of Lennie. Also just adding on to that thought... maybe they aren't friends it could be that as i said George is the care taker of Lennie and thats why hes so bossy. Or maybe hes just a sassy person. Just an idea ! again an amazing blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a very well made blog! I like how you are stating your argument throughout the blog. You made it very clear that you think George is the leader. I agree with you that he is the one in charge. He looks after Lennie to make sure Lennie does not do anything bad. Although George is the one that is mostly in charge and the leader.I think lennie is a big part of George and Lennie's friendship. I think Lennie is the one that gets into trouble and George has to get them out of the trouble. If Lennie was not like he is I think George would not have to step in and be the one in charge, so overall I do think George is the leader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really agree with your argument! I definitely think that George is the leader between him and Lennie. Since Lennie seems disabled, George seems like he has to be the one in charge of him, and look after him. I really liked how you described George in one of the last sentences to really show what characteristics make him a leader. I do agree with you, but I thought about a reason why George could be so sassy. Maybe, since Lennie is a bit clueless, and disabled, that gives George an advantage of being mean and in charge because he knows that Lennie cant do anything? This was a great post, and I agree with the idea that George is the leader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Riley this is an awesome blog with great ideas! I also think that George is the main leader in the book. George is always going on an on about how Lennie shouldn't talk. I get that because he is not very smart but it wont get any better if he didn't give Lennie a chance. Lennie never has any wiggle room with what he says or does. My question is could Lennie be the problem or is it really George. If George would let lennie do a little more talking things may go a little smoother. I think there may be some conflict in the story all about this. Lennie needs to learn social skills and not stay quit! Loved your blog you had awesome points!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Riley, you wrote a great blog. I agree with you that George is the main leader in the book. George is the one that is always talking and making decisions for their group. He also makes sure that Lennie does not talk and mess things up. While I was reading the first two chapters I was wondering if Lennie had a bigger voice then, George would act different and how it would effect their relationship. We have kind of learned that Lennie is disabled in a social aspect. To help with this maybe it would help to have a chance to talk more and have his own voice. Riley, once again great job. You had really good points.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment