George kills Lennie?!?
In part 5/6 Of Mice and Men a very shocking ending came to place, George pulls the trigger on Lennie. The weird thing is George was talking about a happy life with Lennie, and how they will have a farm together. They would have the dream life. All of a sudden George suddenly changes his mind. I infer he did this so Lennie could die happy and die knowing George wasn't mad at him. In addition, I think the reason George,"'Raised the gun and steadied it [and] pulled the trigger"'(106). Was because he didn't want Curley to get the pleasure from doing it. George wanted to put Lennie out of his misery. Also, I think George wanted to not be bothered with Lennie anymore, and him causing trouble. This death brings a deeper meaning to the story because George was willing to kill someone they love for money. Most people now would not do that. It was a mercy killing that was sad to picture be done. In the 1800's it was important to have a job, family, and money. I guess family wasn't important for some people.
Great post Rhea! I do disagree though.George didn't kill Lennie for money. He killed him because he wanted Lennie to die a quick painless death, while thinking about something his dream was. Lennie was his friend, and even though George said some demeaning things, George protected him.
ReplyDeleteGreat post Rhea! I think that George did it because he knew that if Curley found Lennie first he would make Lennie's life awful as payback for what he did. Also, I do think that the money was important to all of the guys on the ranch but I don't think that is why he did it either. We knew that it was a very difficult decision for George because Lennie was the closest thing he had to a family. All throughout the book we saw George stand up for Lennie in a big brother kind of way and so I don't think that George would kill him out of anger, I think he did it to protect Lennie.
ReplyDeleteNice blog Rhea! I agree that George killed Lennie out of love, not murder. But, consider this, George killed Lennie out of human nature. As I read your blog it made me think, humans like to be on top. Whoever killed Lennie would be on top. But, in my opinion, I think George did it out of love. I could still see the murder it both ways. But, I disagree with the part that says, George didn't want to be bothered by Lennie anymore. The two were best friends, and no matter how much they went threw, they remained best friends. Therefore, I do not believe that George killing Lennie was because Lennie was too much to handle. I really liked hearing your view on part 4, now, view mine. :)
ReplyDeleteWow Rhea, I completely didn't think about how George might have done it so that Curley could get the pleasure out of it. The whole time I was thinking that George did it so Lennie could die happy and without misery. I thought this because curley says that he want to shoot Lennie in the gut which is one of the most painful ways to die. There is one thing I disagree with you on though. That is that George killed to get rid out him. I think that that may have been a very small reason but I don't think that it was one of the main ones. I honestly think George thought he was going to let Lennie die happy instead of with fear of the gun. Though now that I think about it your explanation seems very reasonable. I bet that some part of George killed him just to get rid of him
ReplyDeleteNice insight on the blog post Rhea! I agree with your opinion on George killing Lennie because he didn’t want Curley to get the satisfaction from doing it. However, I disagree with your opinion that George valued money over Lennie. In fact, George admits, “‘I ain’t mad. I never been mad, an’ I ain’t now. That’s a thing I want ya to know’” (106). Sure, George’s life would’ve been easier without Lennie, but George loved him like a brother. He admitted to Lennie that he has never been mad, and if he truly harbored no negative emotions towards Lennie, he wouldn’t want to kill him. Not even for money. As I said earlier, I agree with your idea on George not giving Curley the satisfaction of killing Lennie. Curley said that he wanted to shoot Lennie in the stomach. In fact, that is one of the most painful places to shoot someone. I won’t go into detail, but the corrosive stomach acids would… yeah. When George shot Lennie in the place where his head and spine connected, Lennie didn’t know what hit him. George didn’t kill Lennie out of his own greed, he killed Lennie out of mercy and love.
ReplyDeleteRhea I loved your blog. I think I actually disagree though. George wasn't going to actually get the house because that's what he told Crooks. Also, George didn't have anyone else so why would he kill of the only person who is like family? After all those time when they have said things like, "I've got you, and you've got me" why would George kill him? I think that George knew that the guys were coming, and they were going to "shoot him in the guts". I think that George didn't wanted Lennie to die suffering. He wanted his mate to die happily while thinking about their dream. George really cared for Lennie, and therefore wanted him to be happy even to his dying moments. And even if that meant he would be the one to kill his best friend.
ReplyDelete