The End
At the end of the book, it took a surprising turn. George shot Lennie, his best friend, doing the job before anyone else could. If my best friend were to do anything like Lennie did, there is no way I would shoot them. Although I wouldn't do that to my best friend no matter the circumstance, I can see why George did the deed. George knew where Lennie was hiding, he knew that people were on the look for him, and he knew the outcome if someone were to find Lennie before he did. In the moment, George must of thought it was the right thing to do. Even though these aren't the actions I would take, George did this act out of love. He couldn't see his friend go because of someone else, he had to do it.
If you were in George's position, what would you have done? Kill Lennie yourself, or let someone else do the dirty work?
If you were in George's position, what would you have done? Kill Lennie yourself, or let someone else do the dirty work?
If I were George I wouldn't want the memory of killing my best friend being in my nightmares, so I would have died with Lennie so I wouldn't have to live alone in sadness. However, I agree with your idea that George killed Lennie out of love and not hatred. I also I agree with your idea that George had no other choice but to shoot Lennie or else Curley would do it. But I don't agree that George killed Lennie so Curley wouldn't do it. I think he killed Lennie because he knew his mental condition was unfixable and that Lennie would just keep getting in trouble.
ReplyDelete